Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Snowed In (Nov 7-11)

This November Stockholm broke its record for most snowfall, the last record had stood for around 110 years. It all started on Monday the 7th when I went to school it was snowing, but I didn’t think much about it. The only thought I put into it was oh it’s Sweden they should be able to handle a little snow in November…. boy was I wrong. When I got home on Monday, there was already some accumulation on the road, but I didn’t think much about it. Tuesday I was home sick all day long. My host brother came home extremely late compared to normal, and I asked him why. Apparently, the snow had been continually coming down the whole day, and the snow plows couldn't keep up, so SL (the public transport system of Stockholm) decided to shut down all buses and some of the trains. This meant my host brother had to walk an hour home from school in the snow and my host parents were stuck in town for the night. Wednesday I had no classes because I don’t have classes until after 12 and because of parent-teacher conferences classes after 12 were canceled Wednesday and Thursday. On Thursday I was feeling better and was going to go to school, but I waited at the bus stop for one and a half hours, and no bus came, so I didn’t get to go to school on Thursday either. Finally on Friday, which meant no school for me because of Rotary. This actually worked in my favor though because I most likely avoided being lynched because this happened to coincide with election week. In all seriousness though I was really lucky because the Swedes were in a tizzy and I avoided most of the shit fest by showing up the next week.










No comments:

Post a Comment