Saturday, July 30, 2016

First Day In Sweden

After being picked up from the airport, we drove home, and the drive was very quick. This is because it is July and most Swedes take their long vacation at this time. The city is empty now because of this. I also went shopping for the first time at a Swedish supermarket. Swedish supermarkets are different. First, they aren't organized at all like American supermarkets. I would compare them to like a store like Ollies, an overstock store in Fort Wayne, where a bunch of stuff is just thrown in a very small building and isn't sorted very well. Also, there are no isles its more like a maze. Anyone who's been to IKEA knows what I'm talking about. It was also very interesting because my host never does the shopping and he was the one doing it. 

I also had my first Fika. Fika is a very Swedish tradition and it's kind of hard to explain. Fika can be really anything. When you Fika you have like a snack in between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or after dinner, but it doesn't have to be at those times. It is a social event where you normally drink coffee, but isn't limited to, and have a snack like a sandwich or sweet treat. I had a Chokladboll which used to be called negroballs. This name has obiosly fell out of use for obious reasons. 
After biting into it I realized we have the same thing in the U.S. just in a different form. It was a nobake cookie in ball form. Before dinnr I went on a run with my host brother and realized next time I needed to bring my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment